We often think that poverty and hunger only exist in other places of the world. Surely, there cannot be many in the U.S. who these words apply to.
Did you know:
- In 2007, 37.3 million people (12.5%) were in poverty.
- In 2007, 7.6 (9.8%) million families were in poverty.
- In 2007, 20.3 million (10.9%) of people aged 18-64 were in poverty.
- In 2007, 13.3 million (18%) children under the age of 18 were in poverty.
- In 2007, 3.6 million (9.7%) seniors 65 and older were in poverty.
These statistics are all concerning individuals and families within the United Sates. Are you surprised? Who is responsible to care for these people? What should the Church’s role be?