We often think that poverty and hunger only exist in other places of the world. Surely, there cannot be many in the U.S. who these words apply to.
Did you know:
- In 2007, 37.3 million people (12.5%) were in poverty.
- In 2007, 7.6 (9.8%) million families were in poverty.
- In 2007, 20.3 million (10.9%) of people aged 18-64 were in poverty.
- In 2007, 13.3 million (18%) children under the age of 18 were in poverty.
- In 2007, 3.6 million (9.7%) seniors 65 and older were in poverty.
(Source: http://feedingamerica.org/faces-of-hunger/hunger-101/hunger-and-poverty-statistics.aspx )
These statistics are all concerning individuals and families within the United Sates. Are you surprised? Who is responsible to care for these people? What should the Church’s role be?